Summer marks the beginning of fair season — a time when thousands of 4-H youth all across the state showcase the animal projects they have spent so much time perfecting.
As these hard working kids gear up to show their animals, I want to encourage all exhibitors to be aware of livestock tampering rules so they do not accidentally disqualify their market animal projects.
Some key things to keep in mind as you prepare your animal for the show ring:
• If an animal is sick, the exhibitor should contact the veterinarian.
• Prescription medications must be prescribed by a veterinarian for a valid medical purpose.
• Extra-label use of any medication must be prescribed by a veterinarian and have an extended withdrawal time.
• Over-the-counter drugs must be used according to label directions for a valid medical purpose.
• Showing any livestock which has been administered a drug that exceeds the tolerance level, or a drug for which the withdrawal period has not elapsed, is prohibited.… Continue readingRead More »