As we progress through harvest season, consider the hazards associated with agricultural equipment. Today’s agricultural equipment is powerful, very efficient and versatile in how it can be used. During harvest season a variety of equipment will be used both in the field and at the grain storage facility. In some instances farmers can find themselves in the wrong place at the wrong time, and in a situation to be seriously injured by the equipment they are operating or working around.
Injuries from equipment can occur from some of the following reasons:
• Working on or around moving equipment
• Caught in or between equipment
• Working on equipment with stored energy (Example: Hydraulic cylinder)
•Inadequate guarding on equipment or guards have been removed exposing moving parts
• Incorrect hitching practices
• Not being visible to the equipment operator
• Unaware of approaching danger in the work environment.
Agricultural equipment share many of the same hazards that can seriously injury someone if the hazards are not recognized.… Continue reading