By John Fulton, Trey Colley, and Jenna Lee
Collecting in-season data including scouting intel and imagery can be useful on the farm. For those conducting on-farm studies, collecting data beyond yield can provide valuable context when evaluating yield results post-harvest. There are several mobile applications (APPs) available today that can assist with scouting and collecting data. The value with many of these APPs is having:
- Information at your fingertips
- Efficient collection and storage of data, images, notes, etc.
- The ability to share collected information with others quickly
- Access to collected information later in the season, post-harvest or next year
- The capability to geo-tag while collecting data and images
- Data and information available when evaluating post-harvest results.
One app that allows you to have all of benefits in one is the Ohio State PLOTS App. This is an on-farm research app provided by The Ohio State University free of charge. PLOTS allows the user to set-up replicated field studies, capture geo-tagged notes/images during the growing season, and performs statistical analyses on collected crop data.