Dylan Baer – Wood County
There have been some guys west of here who were able to get in the fields and get some planting done on Saturday. We could only find one field we thought we could run on and we got 50 acres of corn in. We got the drill out in the afternoon on Saturday and made about three rounds planting beans and decided it was too wet. It was raining again Sunday morning.
The last I heard, we were closing in on 14 inches since April 1. I’m pretty sure that is record breaking for us. Even the older farmers are talking about how they have never seen this. The 10-day forecast doesn’t look good so we have pretty much written off corn at this point. We were hanging on for as long as we could. Every time a chance of rain came up we’d say, ‘If we miss this one we could plant’ but we got it every time.
We flew on a Prosaro application for head scab last week on the wheat. There is some wheat that got topdressed early and it is starting to yellow up a little like it is losing N. So far our wheat is a nice green color and I think we’ll at least have something to harvest.
We keep telling ourselves it is better to try and fail than not try, but there are guys getting stuck out there. And, in some of the fields that are planted, there are some pretty good-sized ruts in the field. We are trying.
We are planting corn fields to beans based on what landlords want to do. Otherwise, we are just going to take prevented planting on the corn, plant cover crops and try again next year. We may plant more wheat on some of those fields because we may have late beans that could limit the wheat crop we plant this fall.
We have been close to being able to get out and mow hay, but we just can’t get four days without rain. We have seen where guys have been able to run and it is disappointing for us, but it is what it is at this point.
Andrew Armstrong – Clark County
Here on our farm we are very fortunate. On Saturday night we were able to put the last bean in the ground. We were able to finish corn before the insurance date on June 5, other than we had a few drowned out spots we knew were bad. We spotted those in.
We pushed the envelope a little on when we got into the fields. We went with what most of the soil was like in the field instead of waiting until we were ready in the whole field. It was a little sketchy in some places. There were places we had to stop and pick up the planter and go back and dig out a couple of rows. For our decision, we’d look at how bad we were cleating and if we were closing the rows behind us, at least a little bit.
The crops are coming up pretty well. We sidedressed the acres of corn we were able to plant in April and the corn we planted in May will need to be sidedressed soon. We were going to sidedress today but we got a shower last night and it will probably be Wednesday before we can get out in the fields. With the beans we are pretty happy with what we are seeing based on the planting conditions. They are at least coming up.
Around here there is a wide range of planting progress. Some people waited until conditions got better and some of us just went when we could get the planter in the ground to get some acres in. I honestly don’t know which side is correct. We’ll know more this fall.
We are going to watch the early corn like a hawk. It was planted in better conditions so we will push for better yields on those acres and the later fields we are just hoping just to see some return on those.
We are really fortunate on what we were able to get done. I know a lot of people weren’t so lucky. Sometimes it is better to be lucky than good, and we were lucky this year.
Nathan Brown – Highland County
It is raining again so it is a pretty typical day. We finished up corn last Thursday. We have one small field of beans to plant yet but we are pretty well wrapped up down here. We had a pretty good stretch of weather last week and we got a lot accomplished. There are still some guys around here trying to finish up, but you don’t have to go very far to find ground that hasn’t been touched yet. A lot of guys were talking about planting after the insurance dates because they are looking at the potential to get some decent prices.
There are a lot of guys, including myself, who pushed it hard and planted a little sooner than we should have. But, we planted based on the calendar and we got it in. We are kind of glad we are still getting some rains to help the root systems break through the compacted sidewall and get some root development.
Disease wise, I haven’t noticed a whole lot yet, but if we continue to get these rains we are going to have to keep an eye on a lot of this stuff. We are seeing a little bit of head scab in the wheat, but we did put fungicide on and that is holding most of it back.
We are looking at maybe 2 weeks before wheat will be ready to harvest. There is some earlier stuff that is further along. The wet weather will make it important to get it harvested timely. This might be a year where you want to start early and get it done to preserve that quality. There may not be much of a window so when it is time to go we’d better be ready to go. We have a good price right now and if you have a decent crop out there, preserving that quality is going to be important.
There has been very little hay made down this direction, other than wet wrapped. The hay situation is getting scary. A lot of this stuff is getting to mature and rank. We may have problems with the hay quality this winter.
Lamar Liming – Trumbull/ Mahoning County
I have got some hay chopped and got my silos filled. The quality was low on it and the fields were still a little iffy. I haven’t made any dry hay, so we still have that to make. The hay is way over matured, but what are you going to do? The ground is so wet you can’t get it dried.
Some people to the south and to the north got some crops planted over the weekend. I haven’t planted anything since Memorial Day. In the last couple of weeks we have gotten 4.5 inches of rain.
I got 80% of my corn acres planted and I guess I’ll give it another week. If it dries out, I’ll still plant corn. We chop about 20% of our corn acres.
After that I’ll probably consider switching to beans. I think the price of corn is going to keep going up, which is why I would rather plant corn than beans. And if everyone switches corn to beans, beans won’t be worth anything.
I’ve heard everything. Some people are talking about prevented planting. Some are talking about planting corn up until the 20th. There are so many different angles to look at with these decisions. I think I have one thing figured out and then I hear something else.
We are supposed to get more rain this afternoon — anywhere from two tenths to an inch depending on what model you look at. Then we are supposed to get two nice days, then rain again on Thursday.
For the year, the crops that have been planted look pretty good. We do have some drowned out spots in the corn. The beans we planted 2 weeks ago are coming up and, for as much water as we’ve had, they look alright.
We are hopeful with this North American trade agreement and the impact it will have on dairy. Prices have been going in the right direction and that would sure help. I was nervous when they were starting to talk about those tariffs on Mexico, but it sounds like that is worked out.