Farmers Alliance, LLC. is presenting an informative meeting about harmful algae blooms, research efforts, and how all of this affects on-farm decisions.
The event is being held Wed. March 13, 2019 at 16650 Rinehart Rd. Wapakoneta, Ohio 45895.
Dinner will be served at 6:00 p.m. with the meeting to follow.
- Aaron Heilers — Project manager for the Blanchard River Farms Network
- Dr. Christopher Winslow — Director of Ohio State University’s Stone Laboratory, and of the Ohio Sea Grant College Program
- Mike Hannewald — Northwest Ohio agronomist.
Presenters will be providing a glimpse into the research efforts that aim to:
- Improve detection of HABs and understanding toxin production;
- Develop new treatment methods for contaminated drinking water;
- And assess the ability of land use changes to reduce nutrient inputs into aquatic ecosystems.
The program will also highlight nutrient sources today, our understanding of agricultural nutrient losses, farmer decisions, possible strategies to reduce P needs by 40%, and information gaps and research needs. Attendees will also learn about effective best management practices including soil sampling, knowing nutrient levels, consistent sampling procedure, how P and N can be kept in place, and using unbiased recommendations. Concerned citizens and the General Public are all invited.