The Scrapie Free Flock Certification Program standards have been updated effective May 1. A copy of the updated standards and a summary of the revisions are available on ASI’s site at www.sheepusa.org/IssuesPrograms_AnimalHealth_Scrapie.
The basic structure of the program has not changed. There are still two categories in the SFCP: the Export Category (with Export Monitored flocks and Export Certified flocks), and the Select Category (Select Monitored flocks). The updates clarify:
- Sampling requirements, advancement, and genotyping lambs/kids in genetically resistant flocks;
- Veterinary inspection of cull animals;
- Imported embryos/oocytes;
- Animals originating from Inconsistent States;
- Special circumstances involving “Lost to Inventory” and “Found Dead” animals; and
- Reporting requirements for the use of milk/colostrum from a lower status flock.