The Ohio Rural Electric Cooperatives (OREC), long-time sponsors of the Farm Science Review, are bringing the Touchstone Energy hot air balloon back to the Review this year. The 18-story balloon will make morning and evening flights (weather permitting) over the grounds each day of the event.
This year’s exhibits located in the OREC Education Center include a strong focus on being energy efficient and include:
• A hands-on energy efficiency wall display featuring the right way and the wrong way to insulate, caulk and seal. Additional displays will feature renewable energy, heat pump water heaters, the Touchstone Energy Home program and energy efficient windows.
• The latest in lighting featuring outdoor and commercial lighting, along with natural home lighting technologies by First Day Natural Lighting.
• Both air source and geothermal heat pumps displayed by Habegger Corporation and Utility Marketing. A federal tax credit of up to 30% of the cost of an installed geothermal heat pump is available until 2016.
• The Central Ohio Lineman Training School sponsored by the Ohio Rural Electric Cooperatives and Marion Technical College will have a booth. Line workers are always needed throughout the country. A career as a line worker offers job stability, a good income and a career to be proud of.
• Electric generators for the home and farm will be on display by Roessner Energy, along with information on GenerLink, a safe meter interconnection for generators.
• Cellulose (NuWool) and foam insulation (Icyene) will be featured in two display booths, along with information on proper installation and insulation values.
• Water purification systems will be displayed by FreshZone.
• New this year, Country Living magazine, Ohio’s largest rural circulation magazine and the official publication of Ohio’s electric cooperatives, will have a display.
• Microwave cooking demonstrations with Home Economist Patty Miller and assistant Sherry Bickel will return again this year. Cooking demonstrations are offered each day at 9 a.m., 11 a.m., 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. Viewers get to sample the results and take home a complimentary cookbook of the recipes.
• New this year, attendees will have the opportunity to play Energy Jeopardy! for a chance to win a reusable shopping bag. Other prize opportunities include the chance to win a 32-inch LCD TV, an energy basket filled with energy saving products, and a 50-gallon Marathon water heater.
• Outside, experienced line workers will be demonstrating ways to stay safe around electric lines. Shows recur throughout each day.
The Touchstone Energy hot air balloon will be piloted by veteran balloon pilot Dave Champion at the Review. Ohio cooperative members will have an opportunity to win a free balloon ride with Champion.
Booths in the Education Center will be staffed by vendors as well as employees and energy advisers from Ohio’s electric cooperatives.
The Ohio Rural Electric Cooperatives have been part of the Farm Science Review for more than 20 years. In 2010, the cooperatives promise displays, exhibits and demonstrations that will surpass anything they have done before.
The Ohio Rural Electric Cooperatives, Inc. is the statewide trade association that serves Ohio’s 25 Touchstone Energy electric cooperatives.